Student Advising Procedures for Registering Current Students in Classes

From STC Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

(Updated 08/24/2015)

Below are some general guidelines for the Advisors when registering current students in classes.

1) Before meeting with the student:

a) Locate the student’s current Major Program Education Plan or run a Degree Audit in CARS.
b) Review the Class Schedule the student has been pre-registered in based on the Major Program Class Schedule Form with class times planned for each group of students for this semester. Make adjustments as needed based on:
  • Student’s progress toward completing Education Plan and Sample Course of Study
  • Student’s general education class placement scores and progress toward completing required developmental classes with a grade of C or better.
  • Student’s documented transfer and/or articulation credit
  • Student’s schedule convenience and preferences when possible

2) Review the student’s current Major Program Education Plan or Degree Audit with the student.

a) Show the student what degree/certificate requirements he or she has completed and what requirements remain to be completed.
  • Front page is a check list of required classes to update each semester.
  • Back page is a Sample Course of Study showing the typical class sequence.
b) Remind the student of the college graduation requirement of earning a cumulative GPA of at least 2.000 overall and any additional program graduation requirements noted at the top of the Major Program Education Plan.
c) If a student decides to change majors even if within the same program from a certificate to a degree or to a different option / emphasis area:
  • Have them complete a Change of Major Form that is available on EagleOnline/Student Info/Student Forms and Publications or from Academic Records.
  • Based on the new major, direct them to see their new advisor or return to you to complete the class enrollment process.
d) If you are advising a student with no declared major (Major 1 = None), he or she will not have a Major Program Education Plan. This student is only eligible to enroll in general education classes because he/she has not been admitted to a major program either because there are no seats available or he/she has not met the program admission requirements or the student is undecided about what degree to pursue.

3) Review the student’s Class Schedule with him/her.

4) Discuss the student’s progress toward completing developmental course work that (s)he testing into and register him/her in any developmental classes not yet completed with a grade of C or better:

a) COM 050 Reading Fundamentals is the most basic 3-credit reading class for students who test as reading below college-level. COM 070 College Reading Preparation is an intermediate 3-credit reading class that students reading below college level may test into or take after they complete COM 050. These classes are now required like other developmental classes and pre-requisites for writing, oral communications, and social science classes.
b) COM 095 Basic Writing is the most basic 3-credit writing class for students who are not prepared for college-level writing (COM 101). COM 097 Intermediate Writing is an intermediate 3-credit writing class that students writing below college level may test into or take after they complete COM 095. These classes replace the old 5-credit COM 096 class.
c) When a certificate student tests into COM 095 or COM 097, it is a good option to take COM 111 Oral Communications unless he/she wants to transfer to a degree program or COM 101 is required for the certificate he/she is seeking.
d) MAT 051 and MAT 071 are 4-credit classes designed to prepare students for college-level algebra (MAT 115) and mathematics (MAT 118) classes. MAT 031 is no longer offered because students who tested into it do not meet the college entrance threshold.

5) Certificate students - If applicable, ask if he/she is interested in earning a degree after earning the program certificate(s).

a) If so, make sure the student is registered in developmental reading and/or writing classes needed.
b) Remind him/her to apply to change majors to the degree after completing developmental reading and/or writing classes he/she placed into.
c) Discuss that he/she will start taking math classes if/when admitted to the degree program unless the certificate requires math.

6) Ask if the student has any transfer or articulation credits that are not yet documented. If so:

a) Note “transfer or articulation credit expected” by that class on his/her Major Program Education Plan.
b) Tell the student to have his/her college transcript or Articulation Credit Form mailed to the Admissions office.
c) If a student is transferring a course to satisfy the Social Science General Education requirement, tell him/her that if the course being transferred doesn’t meet the state constitution requirement, he or she will be required to take our one-credit PSC 100 Missouri Government and Constitution class. This will be noted on the Transfer Credit Evaluation form the Registrar gives you and the student.
d) Decide whether to register the student in any classes that would normally be taken the next semester for which he/she expects to receive transfer/articulation credit.

6) Online classes (section 60) are intended for students who have a track record of success in previous classes in the topic area; are self-motivated, self-disciplined, and able to work independently; can read at the college level; have access to adequate technology (Windows XP or newer, IE8 or higher, and broadband Internet connection), and have good computer skills.

a) If a student is taking an online class, confirm that the student is comfortable taking an online class and confident he/she can succeed based on the above criteria.
b) Remind students who have enrolled in an online class to log in to Moodle on the first day of class to initiate course work.

7) Discuss Class Load as needed.

a) A student taking more than 18 credit hours or less than 12 credit hours per semester must have advisor approval, which you give when you sign the Academic Records copy of the student’s Fall Class Schedule.
  • Discuss the pros and cons of taking a heavy load vs. planning to attend summer classes or an extra semester. Students who take a heavy load often have to repeat classes at extra expense and frustration and then take summer classes or an extra semester to complete their degrees. It may be better for those students to take lighter loads and plan to take longer to complete their degrees to avoid the frustration and expense of having to repeat classes. Many financial aid programs allow more than two years for completing a degree. Refer the student to financial aid to discuss the specifics of his/her financial aid program(s).
  • Tell him/her that free general education tutoring is available in the ARC and technical tutoring is available in his major program department.
b) Tell a student taking less than a full class load of 12 credit hours per semester that he/she also needs to consult the Office of Financial Aid about their financial aid eligibility.

8) If a student needs to change his/her schedule based on any of the above advising discussions:

a) Consult the class schedule to find available seats that
  • Are planned for your students, OR
  • Have open seats. We’ll sort it out later as needed.
b) Complete an Add/Drop Form to drop and/or add classes.
  • You and student sign in ink.
  • Student turns in to Academic Records and receives a new schedule and invoice.
c) Tell the student to notify Financial Aid of any schedule changes and check for any impact on their financial aid award(s).

9) Update the student’s Major Program Education Plan with classes in which the student is now enrolling.

10) You and the student sign the Enrollment Form in ink.

11) Instruct the student to turn in his/her signed Enrollment Form to the Academic Records Office.

12) Instruct student to see Financial Aid if he/she has any questions about his/her Student Invoice after enrolling in classes.

13) Remind the student that he/she can drop and add classes at no cost:

a) During the first 5 days of the semester for 16-week classes.
b) During the first 2 days of the semester for 8-week classes.