Obtaining Property from Missouri State Surplus
All purchases of property and equipment from the Missouri State Agency for Surplus Property are to be coordinated by the Department Chairs for each department.
GOVERNMENT SURPLUS PROPERTY. Certain items of property and equipment are available, at significant cost savings, through the Federal Surplus Property Program which is administered by the Missouri State Agency for Surplus Property. [See 6:035 Obtaining Federal Excess Property for information on first screening of federal excess property.]
Authority & Responsibility for Purchases - Procurement/Materials Management is responsible for coordinating purchases of property through the Federal Surplus Property Program, and is empowered to authorize other College personnel to sign for and take receipt of property from the Missouri State Agency for Surplus Property.
A 10% administrative fee is added to College department purchases from the Missouri State Agency for Surplus Property by Procurement/ Materials Management, Surplus Property Section to cover processing costs.
Conditions Governing Acquisition and Use:
- Surplus property may be acquired only for educational or research purposes within the State of Missouri. Any acquisition for purposes of resale or other use is prohibited.
- All surplus property having a single item acquisition cost of $3,000 or more to the U.S. Government, regardless of its cost to the College, and all motor vehicles:
- Must be placed in use for the purpose for which acquired, no later than 12 months after acquisition.
- Must be used for the purpose for which acquired, for a period of not less than 18 months, except aircraft which is to be used for a period of not less than 5 years.
- May not be sold, traded, leased, loaned, bailed, cannibalized or dissembled for secondary purposes or otherwise disposed, or removed from the State of Missouri during the specified period of use without prior written approval of the Federal Government.
- May be transferred between departments during the specified period of use only if the property will be used for purposes similar to those for which it was originally acquired.
- All non-expendable, surplus property which had a single item cost to the U.S. Government, meeting College inventory requirements, must be included in the department’s College inventory.
The administrative cost of the surplus property to the College is added to this amount when determining whether the item should be inventoried.
Note: All such property must be handled as any other College inventoried property. See Article Inventory.